Sunday, March 2, 2014

i'm pretty sure memories are concrete.

when I was a kid me and my siblings used to play in the once vacant lot between my house and the neighbors.
there were weeds and the ground was that awful dried out dirt that hurt when you fell and was difficult to dig in.
there was a tree that provided the only shade on the whole lot.
the shade was usually stolen by our massive dog.
we built forts out of sticks and we made trails through the weeds.
we pretended we were savages or hobos living in forgotten desserts.
we would use spoons as shovels and toy dolls as our babies or captives.
we barrowed food from the house never intending to give it back.
we played until the sun went down and the mosquitoes started biting.
our jeans were never clean and we never wore shoes.
our palms were caked with dirt.
we had skinned toes and skinned elbows.
we used the dandy lions as medicine, face paint and decoration.
I never liked how they smelt.
but I loved our vacant lot.
when I was six the forts were knocked down.
the weeds were killed.
and our toys were removed.
a brick house was soon built.
windows and doors.
locks and bolts.
grass.
real flowers.
I missed our vacant lot.
the days of playing in the dirt and exploring the world through our imagination in our vacant lot were gone.
it was no longer our vacant lot.
or our primitive home. 
our forgotten dessert.
we could no longer steal food and pretend we had found it in the trash.
it was the weird games and makeshift homes, trails and dirty hands we missed the most.
the house now sits vacant.
no one to appreciate what was once stolen from our childhood.
the brick house collects dust now.
the windows and doors are dirty.
the locks stay locked.
the grass is dying. maybe its jus because its winter.
but I think it's because there is no one to love the vacant lot.
the flowers have been left to die.
the house is falling apart.
the bricks are breaking. but my memories are concrete.
i remember the days in the dirt.
i remember the vacant lot prettier with the weeds than with the house.
i miss the vacant lot.



6 comments:

  1. That's what childhood is all about. So freaking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought back memories of my childhood. Memories are definitely concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot. -somebody (John Mayer? but I think he stole it from someone else...)

    "we used the dandy lions as medicine" so small, so specific, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was beautiful. i have similar memories, out in the backyard....pretending to be orphans and fending for ourselves out in the wilderness that really was just my backyard.


    i'm sorry that you lost your vacant lot.

    ps i love your background

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of this. I'd give you a gold medal, but I don't think I qualified.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Childhood summed up in the most beautiful cinematic way

    ReplyDelete